It is always a wise precaution to pack some essential items in case of illness on holiday. Do choose medicines according to your needs and the country you are visiting. If you take prescription medicines regularly remember to pack them too.
- Travel sickness tablets
- Rehydration solutions such as dioralyte
- Anti-diarrhoeal, eg imodium
- High factor sunscreen; calamine lotion
- Always check whether you need any immunisations or malarial tablets
before you travel
- Seek advice well in advance in case you need a course of injections
Other essentials to pack
- Water purification tablets
- Insect repellent
- Condoms / other contraceptives
- Arrange medical insurance
- Obtain a form e111 from the post office if you are travelling in Europe.
This will entitle you to free or reduced cost medical care within the EU. Take the form with you on holiday.
Care can still be very expensive even with an e111 form.